Court Of Record Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Getting Divorced - Wife unemployed..

Hi - i'm divorcing wife of 10+ years, 3 kids. She is unemployed, making finances extremely difficult. She has an advanced degree to practice law, but appears unmotivated to seek employment. I currently pay for everything (her rent + mine at new home). This is unsustainable given my annual salary.

Any insight as to how this will play out and/or how best to proceed?

*in California.

Thanks in advance!

You don't have an attorney? You need one yesterday. You should have never moved out, or served her immediately if she moved out. You should not be paying her bills. She are setting precedent to keep paying....by continuing to pay.

There are many lawyers that will give you a free initial consultation. It is very important that you take the time to see a lawyer. As a previous poster stated you are setting precedence.

You can save a few thousand now by not getting an attorney and you can expect it to cost anywhere from tens to hundreds of thousands later. It's up to you. A consult is anywhere from free to a couple hundred dollars. 

Where are the kids residing right now? Do you have a child support order in place? To give a rough idea what you should be paying, what percentage of the time do you have the children and what is your annual income? You can send this in a private message if you like. You should not be sending anymore than would be court ordered, going by the requested info. Your unemployed wife will be working soon. Staying home and not working with her credentials is perk of marriage, which is now over. Unless you are a very high