Court Of Record Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Her Car Loan is in my Name

I am the primary on her car loan. Because she doesnt always pay on time or each month my credit is suffering how can I remove my name from the loan.

Going forward, you should be concerned about your finances and he should be concerned about his. As long he's a source of income that you depend on, you do need to be somewhat concerned about how his finances impact yours. But other than that his finances and how concerned he is about them isn't really your business.

If you expect to continue to be dependent on spousal support it's not unreasonable to think about life insurance in case he passes, but in my opinion (again, looking at it from the paying spouse perspective) it's not really his obligation as an EX-spouse to continue to provide for you after he's dead. You can ask for him to carry life insurance for your benefit and may be able to get that written into your settlement agreement, or you MAY be able to get a judge to order it if it comes to that, but in my opinion if you want insurance on him you should be the one to pay for it.

The key to maintaining your marital standard of living at this point will be for you to do as much as you can to support yourself and reduce your reliance on spousal support. That's the way California courts look at it these days.

Also as a point of reference, my ex has been mostly out of the workforce for over 15 years and is 57 years old. In February she received her teaching certificate, she'll be finishing her MA in Education later this year and she has at least one job offer for the fall. So the notion that you're incapable of getting back into the workforce and providing for yourself just because you're 58 just doesn't fly. You may not be able to make the same income that your husband was making, but you need to be actively thinking about what you're going to do to support yourself.